I don't have a problem with the article itself, since I don't know a lot about eating disorders, other than what I've read on some blogs. What I'm wondering about is that shaded area to the right of the article that is listing stats and information for the various types of eating disorders, this piece in particular:
Eating Disorder or Diet?
· Dieting is about losing a little bit of weight in a healthful way. Eating disorders are about trying to make your whole life better through food, or lack of, and eating.
· Dieting is about doing something healthy for yourself. Eating disorders are about seeking approval and acceptance from everyone through negative attention.
· Dieting is about losing a bit of weight and doing it healthfully. Eating disorders are about how life won't be good until a bit, or a lot, of weight is lost, and there's no concern for what kind of damage you do to yourself to get there.
· Dieting is about losing some weight in a healthy way so how you feel on the outside will match how good you already feel on the inside. Eating disorders are about being convinced that your whole self-esteem is hinged on what you weigh and how you look.
· Dieting is about attempting to control your weight a little better. Eating disorders are about attempting to control your life and emotions through food, or lack of food, and are a huge neon sign saying, "Look how out of control I really feel."
Dieting is not about losing weight in a healthy way for any of the reasons stated (at least not for the majority of fat people, I would think). Why do I say this? Simply because of the way diets are shoved at us. It's not about health, it's about some asshat's aesthetics. They don't like looking at fatties, so they better by gawd do anything and everything to get thin, no matter how harmful it is to your health. After all, thin is healthy, and fat is not healthy, so getting thin can't be harmful, right? Guess again asshats. Not even close, no prize for you.
I don't know if the descriptions of what eating disorders are about are accurate either, since the only disordered eating I've ever done has been to go home and eat a huge bag of chips (or box of cookies or whatever) after people have ragged on me about how much I need to lose weight (and I don't do that anymore, I just tell them to fuck off, my body is none of their fucking business).
Do any of you out there have any thoughts on this? I'm interested in hearing what y'all think.