Sunday, December 16, 2007

Don't wait for thin to do what you want

I'm reading more and dusting less. I'm sitting in the yard and admiring the view without fussing about the weeds in the garden. I'm spending more time with my family and friends and less time working.

Whenever possible, life should be a pattern of experiences to savor, not to endure. I'm trying to recognize these moments now and cherish them.

I'm not "saving" anything; we use our good china and crystal for every special event such as gaining a friend, getting the sink unstopped, or the first Amaryllis blossom.

I wear my good blazer to the market. My theory is if I look prosperous, I can shell out $28.49 for one small bag of groceries. I'm not saving my good perfume for special parties, but wearing it for clerks in the hardware store and tellers at the bank.

"Someday" and "one of these days" are losing their grip on my vocabulary. If it's worth seeing or hearing or doing, I want to see and hear and do it now

I'm not sure what others would've done had they known they wouldn't be here for the tomorrow that we all take for granted. I think they would have called family members and a few close friends. They might have called a few former friends to apologize and mend fences for past squabbles. I like to think they would have gone out for a Chinese dinner or for whatever their favorite food was.

This was part of an email I got today, and it hits on how I feel about waiting to do this, that, or the other until I lose weight. I'm doing what I want to do now, I'm not going to wait until I get thin (which probably ain't happening).
What made me really think about this is the talk I had Saturday night with my 14 year-old grandson about some things going on in his life now (he lives with his dad, my daughter-in-law's ex b/f). He says he can't talk to anyone but me because they just don't understand his feelings, but I do (because I'm a cool grandma and I've been where he is now, feelings-wise, and he knows I'll listen and not judge him). So that's one of the things I've always done without waiting till I get thin, and if I can do that, then I'm not waiting on anything else I want to do either.

2 comments:

  1. This post made me get out my favorite perfume. I'm wearing it for the first time in a long time.

    I am determined to start living my life. I might not do it very well, especially since I'm so accustomed to hiding out in my safe little house. But I'm going shopping today, giving it my best effort & I'm going to smell heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat - that's great. And it doesn't matter how well you do at first, it's those little steps that lead to bigger ones. After all, we didn't learn to walk all at once when we were babies, so it takes time to overcome all the crap we've been indoctrinated with all our lives. So little steps work just as well as big ones, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. If you're a troll and trying to slander someone or just being generally an asshat, your comment probably won't see the light of day. If you want to have a reasonable, civil discussion, welcome, and feel free to comment.
To the troll at IP: 70.242.65.196 , adsl-70-242-65-196.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net, your comments will not be published, nor will they be read. They will be automatically deleted. Get a life, sad sack.