Friday, August 24, 2007

Sherrilyn Kenyon ROCKS!!!

I just finished reading Night Play by Sherrilyn Kenyon and it was awesome! The heroine is 5' 6" and wears a size 18, has just been dumped by her boyfriend (who is an asshat of major proportions) and meets a WereHunter (wolf, and is he ever a hunk). Book goes through trials and tribulations of human/Were falling in love, etc. But what really reached me in this book is the following quote from the book.
Bride: "It's amazing what you can get used to, isn't it?"
Vane: "How do you mean?"
Bride: "Just that sometimes we let other people treat us wrongly because we want to be loved and accepted so badly that we'd do anything for it. It hurts when you know that no matter how much you try, how much you want it, they can't love or accept you as you are. Then you hate all that time you wasted trying to please them and wonder what about you is so awful that they couldn't at least pretend to love you."

I read that and cried. It describes so much of my life when I was younger and being abused by my mother, physically, emotionally, and mentally. It also relates to how fat people are treated by society and their loved ones (not all of us, I know, but quite a few of us). Until we learn that diets and WLS don't work for everyone, and learn to love ourselves as we are, we are on that merry-g0-round of being treated like crap and doing anything we can to get people to like and love us (dieting, eating disorders, WLS and the like to get thin so we will be loved).
What I have learned over the years tho, is that if they don't like me when I'm fat, they aren't going to like me any better when I'm thin. My sense of humor doesn't change when I lose weight, my honor, respect, integrity, and trustworthiness don't change with my weight, neither does my intelligence. Thin or fat, I'm still an opinionated bitch, and I'm not going to apologize for it. I have also learned that if they can't like me as I am, thin or fat, good/bad/indifferent, then I don't need them in my life (one of the reasons I don't have anything to do with my mother, which is another rant altogether). It took years of therapy for me to learn that, and even though I said it about my weight, I didn't really believe it, not deep down inside. But, thanks to the internet and fat acceptance blogs, I'm making a beginning at believing it. Finding it said so well in a supernatural romance novel is so rare, and so uplifting for me. It's funny too, because I don't really like most romance novels, but the supernatural ones, with witchcraft, vampires, were animals, those I love (could be that I have loved science fiction/fantasy for years and that has fueled my interests in this type of romance).
I just wanted to share this bit of insight.

1 comment:

  1. I have this book, too. I do love a plus-sized heroine. I also really liked that she didn't have to get skinny to find Wuv, Twoo Wuv!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. If you're a troll and trying to slander someone or just being generally an asshat, your comment probably won't see the light of day. If you want to have a reasonable, civil discussion, welcome, and feel free to comment.
To the troll at IP: 70.242.65.196 , adsl-70-242-65-196.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net, your comments will not be published, nor will they be read. They will be automatically deleted. Get a life, sad sack.